Interview TipsThursday, May 11th, 2017. Work
Sounds like a simple enough interview question, right?!
Yet many candidates fail to prepare well for this question. Here are some interview tips to help your prepare a great answer and shine during your interviews.
‘Why do you want to work with us?’ is commonly asked during interviews and it is a very important question. A great answer can reveal so much about the candidate and their motivations. While a poor response will leave the interviewer feeling a little underwhelmed.
Here are some real answers I have received in reply to this question:
“I would love to work for a start up.”
“I want to work for a tech company.”
“I am looking for something different.’
All of the above answers may be very true for the candidate, however the answers could be applied to a thousand companies. When a question like this is asked the company is looking to get an insight into you, your motivations and to understand why you want to work with them specifically.
A great answer will:
- Be specific to the company which you are interviewing with.
- Detail why you want to work with their product / service (research, research, research, not only for the interview but to ensure you are also interested in what the company does)
- Perhaps you have a friend or ex colleague who works there and has told you about the working environment and opportunities available.
- Explain how your skills can bring value.
- Don’t be afraid to be excited.
Show your passion and be honest!